Army and Navy
SIMPLICITY IN A COCKTAIL
While interpretations of the origin of the Army & Navy cocktail vary, its recipe remains unchanged: a combination of Gin, lemon and orgeat.
The Army & Navy is as easy to make as it is to drink. The simplicity of this cocktail, with the barley syrup as a guest, blends in perfectly with flavored gins. Thus, enabling the floral touches of Melifera to fully bloom.
Ingredients for the Army & Navy cocktail
- 50 ml of Melifera gin
- 20 ml of barley syrup
- 20 ml lemon juice
Garnish: an Immortelle flower
Preparation of the Army & Navy cocktail
- Refresh your cocktail glass with crushed ice
- Pour into a shaker 50 ml of Gin Melifera, 20 ml of barley syrup and 20 ml of lemon juice
- Shake vigorously for a few seconds
- Then transfer your mixture into your cocktail glass previously cooled with crushed ice
Taste your Army & Navy
Our little anecdote
The name of this cocktail comes from the “Army and Navy Game” which was one of the first sporting events in American football. It is an opposition between the academy of Westpoint called the Black Knights of the Army and that of Annapolis called the Midshipmen of the Navy. The 1st opposition took place in 1890 and the cocktail is said to have been created at the end of this match.
Today, the Army and Navy Game is still going on and the rivalry between these two teams remains unchanged.
Our advice for a successful Army & Navy cocktail
This cocktail is not too complicated to prepare, but if you want to make it perfectly, opt for a homemade barley syrup. It won’t take you long and the recipe is very simple.
Ingredients for the homemade barley syrup:
- 160 ml of almond milk (no added sugar or salt)
- 120 g white powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of bitter almond flavor
- 4 drops of orange blossom extract